Before the evolution of technology, farmers were dependent on small agricultural tools and animals for planting and performing other farm activities. Even though positive results were being achieved, farmers were always worn out and get old easily, crop production was low because farmers could only cultivate a small area of farmland with their man-power, However, today, there are big types of equipment like tractors and many other machines that have been designed to carry out farm activities better and faster.
The agricultural sector in any nation does not only important for food production and supply but also as a source of income to the entire circle (farmers, buyers, and sellers, government, etc). Most manufacturing industries, as well as businesses, are dependent on agriculture, for example, textile industries depend on farm animals to create textile materials, food processing companies use by-products like milk and wheat got from farm animals and plants and so on. Without giving serious attention to this sector, any country can be politically and economically unstable and paralyzed.
Since the introduction of various technological farm machines, farmers no longer have to apply water, seeds, fertilizers, and pesticides manually or uniformly across the entire farmland. Instead, they can use the minimum quantities required and target very specific areas, or even treat individual plants differently using modernized types of equipment.
Benefits of technology in agriculture include:
- Higher crop productivity since planting and harvesting practices have become easier with the help of mechanized planters and harvesters.
- Effort of farmers is controlled, farm laborers have reduced as the machines carry out the heavy and stressful works on the farm.
- Farm products can be easily transported or transferred from one place to another place just due to modern technology
- By adopting some useful techniques, the amount of fertilizer being used on the farmland is reduced.
- Technology has helped to increase the profit of the farmer and reduce the cost operation
- Farmers now use cooling facilities to deliver tomatoes and other perishable crops to keep them fresh as they transport them to the market.
- Development of animal feeds: this has solved the problem of hunting for grass to feed animals, now these feeds can be manufactured and consumed by animals.
- Decreased use of water, fertilizer, and pesticides, which in turn keeps food prices down
- Runoff of chemicals into rivers and groundwater are easily controlled.
- Increased worker safety and life longevity.
- Increased the standard of living of the farmers.
- Robotic technologies enable more reliable monitoring and management of natural resources, such as air and water quality.
- It has helped producers gain greater control over plant and animal production, processing, distribution, and storage.
- Increase in the production of high-quality farm produce especially in animal production, better and hygienic farm animals are being produced for consumption.
- Safer growing conditions and safer foods.
- Reduced environmental and ecological impact